Monday, January 25, 2010

INTRODUCTORY LETTER



My name is Connie Hodgkins. I was born in North Hollywood, California and have lived in California all my life. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I feel I received a not-so-great public education as part of the Los Angeles Unified School District. After that, my education got better. I attended Valley Jr. College and Pierce Jr. College in the San Fernando Valley and moved on to San Diego Mesa Jr. College to finally get my two-year degree in Psychology. I was then lucky to go to San Diego State University to complete a bachelor's degree in Child Development in two years, graduating in 1983.
I have had this Dell notebook computer for way too many years. But it does what I need it to do, so I haven't moved to macbook like my daughters. I use my computer (which has Microsoft Word 2003) for e-mails, googling, Quicken, occasional basic excel spreadsheets, simple photo storage, and playing solitaire. I use my Palm Treo cell phone for storing addresses, directions, and have the most fun texting with my family.
Regarding the CSUSM COE Mission Statement, the words "reflective teaching" appeal to me as I often go through things over again in my mind wondering how I could do it differently next time. I feel teachers should always practice reflective teaching. At our first class session, Mr. Heil expressed his appreciation for the shared governance of the education department. It's nice to hear from a professor that he feels that the department really functions using the concept of shared governance. It's also nice to hear he really likes how things are run.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Connie! It was great to read your post and I look forward to getting to know you better this semester. That is great that you received your BA in Child Development... that was the major I was in at SDSU before I finally changed to Liberal Studies. I agree that the shared governance of the College of Education is extremely important and is great to hear that a professor in the college supports the mission statement 100 percent! See you in class!

    -Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that's just great to hear a professor supporting the mission statement. But in reality, it's just nice to hear some positive comments at all from professors. I can't tell you how many complaints I hear from professors about everything under the sun and it's nice to not have to hear all the gripe and something GOOD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Connie,
    My husband grew up in the valley. He didn't attend Pierce college but his brother did and we've gone hiking on some trails around the college. Both my mother-in-law (retired) and sister-in-law are teachers in the L.A. school district...small world! I transferred from a Jr College (never got my 2 yr degree) to UCLA and graduated in '88. We both graduated in the 80's!! That was a different era, huh? I think our wealth of life experiences will only benefit our kids so I'm not too worried about the being "old" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Connie,

    I hope you are gearing up for a wonderful weekend. I really liked what you said about reflective teaching. I do the same and I think this sort of self reflection makes for a great teacher. I anticipate a humbling experience. You seem like you are hip to the techy groove. You can look up directions on your phone! I still have been avoiding the internet feature on those creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Connie,
    I posted (on my blog) the answer to your question you asked my on my blog. Check it out when you have a chance.
    --Michele

    ReplyDelete